Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Look what I can do!


What a big girl!!!
Bria did another fun milestone, she sat up in the boppy! I was thrilled beyond words and she was all smiles when she realized what a big girl she was.
We start rice cereal in just 2 weeks, I'm excited for her to try some food. She has been showing interest in food when we eat so it'll be fun to see what she thinks of eating.

Bria also watched a little bit of Michael Jackson's funeral. I am a big fan of Michael even though people think he is strange. I can't tell you how sad I was when I saw on TV that he had died. It was my birthday. Yeah, that's right, he died on my birthday (as did Farrah Fawcett, what a birthday it was). The funeral was quite emotional.



Apparently all my stressing and routines are a good thing. Let me explain. Yesterday I was ultra care free and didn't think about Bria's schedule, she took quite a few mini naps, only one of which was in her crib. One of her naps was on the couch (with me right there) and another was in her car seat (ran to the bank), and another was in my arms and Brian's arms. Well, bedtime came and she had just taken a nice bath. I was putting her pajamas on and she was all smiley and happy. I laid her down in her crib and left. 10 minutes later she is starting to whine and fuss, no big deal, sometimes babies need to let off some steam. I let her do it for a little bit and then went in to try and calm her down, little did I know it was the beginning of a 2 1/2 hour battle where Brian and I will take turns holding a screaming baby who REFUSES to go to sleep. I have no idea what happened and why she was so unhappy. But I do know that anytime we brought her in our bedroom that had a lamp and tv on, she would calm down. Brian was convinced she was afraid of the dark. I just thought she wasn't ready to go to bed. After googling it (yes, we googled, we were at our wits end) it seemed as though maybe she wasn't feeling good (even though we gave her Mylacon drops and Tylenol) and the TV was a distraction that helped calm her down.
So what finally put her to bed? A little kids DVD where they sing songs. Brian and I were so confused as to why she was so upset. At one point nothing was making her happy and I seriously did not know what to do. Brian and I made a pretty good team, although we got snippy a few times. He kept asking me if I thought this was wrong, or that was wrong and I finally said "I don't know, stop asking me!" Then I lightened the mood and threw in a Friends quote, "We can't turn against each other, that's just what she wants!" So at 11 pm we crawled in to bed, tired, confused, and ready for a good nights' rest.
So I think I will be going back to stressing and a strict schedule (*edit-routine), obviously it works.

A little video of Bria doing sit ups ;)

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I love that Bria is sitting, even if its with the help of the Boppy. She is such a big (and extremely cute) girl!

E said...

Check out the big girl!

I can't tell you how many times we've been there at night. Usually one of us will look at the other and say, "Should we just drug her?"

L said...

She is too cute!
Sorry about the sleep issue, maybe she needs one of those noise machine's in her room?

Amy said...

nice friends reference! i totally understand, Presley did that for 4 hours one night!

Anonymous said...

we ALWAYS had a routine with max (like you said in your most recent post, not a 'schedule' at specific times - but a routine) and it always worked wonders. i was always really anal about it - but now max is a fantastic sleeper (still naps anywhere from 2-4 hours at 2 years old), never wakes up at night, and we never have to go back in his room once we lay him down to sleep. i think the worst is when they get overtired - so you are smart to put her down just when she is getting sleepy. i remember with max, his worst screamfests were when he was so incredibly tired that he couldn't calm himself down. i think you are doing the right thing by keeping her on a routine - if it is working for you, go for it! :)

Danielle said...

Go Bria! She's so strong! I'm so sad about Michael Jackson too. I've always been a huge fan.