Thursday, April 11, 2013

She got her ears pierced...


 ...and you will be surprised by who "she" is.






 REESE!
That's right, Reese got her ears pierced.
I've wanted to pierce both my girls ears as babies but Brian was not thrilled with the idea and I didn't push it when Bria was a baby.
I thought for sure Bria would want her ears pierced by now but nope. I think she is scared of the poke.
So I asked Brian if I could pierce Reese's ears. He said no at first. But I don't think he knew how much it would mean to me...and hopefully Reese.

Her and I went to the mall together and had a fun Mommy/daughter day, shopping, playing, and eating. She got a smoothie and a sucker in an attempt to help keep her still during the ear piercing itself. Funny side story, the smoothie should've waited until after the piercing. I let Reese have it while I filled out the paperwork and she ended up spilling half of it on herself and on the floor of Claire's (the ear piercing place). I was mortified and felt horrible that I was being a neglectful Mom. The gal working there who cleaned it up was very sweet and assured me it was fine. I apologized profusely throughout our whole visit there and mentally told myself a blueberry smoothie and a one year old are a recipe for disaster...and I should've known that.
So anyway, back to the piercing. Reese did great. I figured she would because whenever the doctor pricks her finger to test her iron levels she doesn't even blink, it just doesn't phase her.
The first ear she flinched a little and then whined when the gal had to put the back on the earring. The second ear she kind of knew what was happening so she started crying, but the gal was a fast and Reese stopped as soon as she was done.
Afterwards I looked at my sweet girl with little diamonds in her ears and was all giddy with excitement.  It was such a fun little experience and grateful to have had it.

It has been 5 days and her ears look great. They got a tiny bit swollen a day or two after, but not bad at all. She lets me clean them, with a little resistance on her part, and I am diligent of cleaning them 3 times a day. The first two days she would kind of twist one of the earrings in curiosity, but since then she hasn't touched them at all. They don't even phase her now.
We thought for sure that Bria would want to get her ears pierced once she saw Reeses's, but nope. She says how pretty they are but that she doesn't want to get hers pierced.
So thats the story of the ear piercing! We can add earrings to her birthday and christmas lists :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lulu,

Was searching for a GF's blog and came across yours. Started reading and came across your post about about having your YDD's ears pierced, but your older girl hesitated. I had to laugh since I had the similiar experience taking both my girls ages 3 and 2 to have them done. Like you, I've wanted to pierce their ears since soon after birth, but dh was reticient. OTOH, I think you're a smart mommy for wanting both girls ears pierced.

One day, dh saw a little toddler with earrings that soO cute. He turned to me and said it was time for our girls to have earrings too. I almost fell over. Soon thereafter, YDD started asking for earrings and wanted them done seeing mommy's "earwigs." On a whim, I took both girls to have them done, and asked the ODD if she wanted to go first to show how brave she was having them done for her little sister. "No way," she said. I asked our youngest, Sandi, and she said I want "earwigs." Barely shedding a tear, she had them done. That day, only the YDD walked out with earrings.

Nonetheless, I really wanted both girls ears pierced, thinking peer pressure would take hold. For about a week, I was content just to have my younger dd with earrings, but secretly wanted my ODD's ears pierced too. Searching for a solution, I asked our ped which was in a week. She encouraged me to have the ODD's ears pierced when she was ready, but gave me some ideas which worked perfectly.

Our ped told me to go to Claires with our ODD, buy her some stickers for her ears, and let her pick out some little clip on earrings so she could be like her sister with earrings. Sure enough, at home, I began seeing Missy looking in the mirror constantly. It was obvious she loved how pretty she looked even with stickers and clip-ons. Finally, she confessed she wanted to wear "real" earrings like mommy and her sister, but was afraid it would hurt. I was ready for her request. Our ped told me to offer some "magic cream" for her ears so it wouldn't hurt having them pierced. She recommended some Oragel 45 minutes ahead rubbing on the front/back of the lobe and having them pierced at the same time.

Missy woke up the next day and wanted me to put the "magic jelly" on her ears and take her to Claire's. The nice manager at Claire's remembered her and asked if she was ready to have earrings like her sister. Missy said yes, and I began to laugh when she chose 5 mm CZ's! Missy said SHE was the big sister and wanted to look and wear BIG earrings like mommy (I confess loving large CZ studs in my ears). Holding them up to her ears, they didn't look too big, so I said okay. At this point, anything to finally get her ears pierced. WEll, the nice girl dotted her ears.Next, she and her assistant came over to do both ears at once and it was done in an instant! Missy almost grabbed the mirror out of the manager's hands and suddenly began smiling from one earring to the other!

Both girls look adorable and dh was thrilled saying how pretty both girls looked with earrings now. I knew that I had made the right decision.

I'd say if you still thinking about it, then think about trying what worked well for me so both my girls could have pretty pierced ears.

Angie

angietune@hotmail.com

Lulu said...

Thank you Angie, you are very sweet to offer your success story. I imagine Bria would do pretty well with the "magic cream" and it would help her get over the fear of the poke :)

Anonymous said...

Lulu,

Thanks for you nice comment on my "success story." Your're most welcome and glad to share my story with you. I know it works for others as well. When my GF desperatately wanted her reluctant 3 yr's ears pierced, the "magic cream" worked perfectly for her too.

Please drop me an e-mail when your ODD has her ears pierced. Would love to hear how peer pressure, clip-ons, sticker work.

TIA

Angie
angietune@hotmail.com