Monday, April 15, 2013

I'm me

Everybody has their own little idiosyncrasies.  When I became a Mom, many of mine were exaggerated even more because...because, well, I don't really know. Let's blame it on the hormones.
Sleep.
If you go back and read my blog when Bria was a baby, almost every single post included some kind of vent about Bria's sleeping routine. What I didn't completely divulge is that I would literally count how many hours she slept each night and every nap, taking into account when she actually fell asleep, not just when I put her in her crib.
When she was an itty bitty newborn I was stressed and overwhelmed and most nights I couldn't sleep very well because I was constantly thinking of when she would be up next and all the what if's. What if she only sleeps for 2 hours and not 3 like last night? Wait, was that her? Should I pick her up or let her fuss? I need to get to sleep right now or I will only get 5 hours of sleep total, and that's interrupted sleep not consistent. On and on and on. I will spare you from giving you further details.
You might be thinking, well, that's not toooo weird.
Newborn Bria
It gets worse.
I also counted how many hours I slept. And Brian. And I stressed out about it. When Brian would get up in the middle of the night because he couldn't sleep I would stress out and get all anxious. I would calculate how many hours he had gotten and then figure out what time he should come back to bed so that he would get a decent night.
I know.
I will give you a minute to let that sink in.
I have no idea why sleep was such a big deal to me but it was on my mind constantly. I had to be home for all of Bria's naps and home in time for her bed time. I was that typical first time mom who was crazy obsessive about Bria's schedule.
However, I'm not going to harp on myself too much because my OCD about sleep is part of the reason our girls sleep so well. So judge away, but we are getting a full nights rest in this house. And sometimes naps as a family.
Anyway, when I had Reese I was noticeably less stressed about sleep. It did not consume me. When she was a newborn and still in our room I had no problem sleeping. The minute my head hit the pillow I was out, which is a huge change for me. Usually I lay awake for at least an hour before going to sleep. I would sleep until Reese woke up, nurse her, change her diaper, put her back down and I would be out until the next feeding. In the morning I would barely remember when her feedings were and I definitely wasn't counting my hours of sleep.
Sleeping peacefully with baby Reese (she is under all those blankets, I swear)
All refreshed because of great sleep!
This has continued and I am very grateful for it. I can't tell you how draining it was to constantly count and worry about everyone's sleep. I still want everyone to sleep well and get a full night's rest, but I can't tell you the last time I counted the hours someone has slept. I mean I usually know about how many hours I sleep at night, but I think that is pretty normal...I hope.
Of course, now that I'm not stressing about sleep I have moved on to something else. Food. I'm constantly worrying about what the girls are eating and if they are getting a well balanced diet. I think that is somewhat normal too, but of course my constant worry takes it to the extreme.
For now, I'm just going to enjoy sleep and enjoy that it actually relaxes me now instead of stressing me out!

2 comments:

Kendra and Nathan said...

I, too, have really struggled with anxiety. I always have, but it has been totally amplified by motherhood. I really wonder how much of this is in our genetic code. People talk about worrying a lot as a parent and I feel normal, but then sometimes I realize the anxiety is a lot more that most people experience. But we also have the pioneer, stick to it genes in us, so we make it! :)

Lulu said...

I wonder that too Kendra, we definitely have it in our DNA because I think a lot of us feel the same way. We want to be the best and we put a lot of pressure on ourselves which brings on more anxiety. The cycle of motherhood :)