Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tink and Tired

Tinkerbell.
Oh Tinkerbell. Bria LOVES Tinkerbell. She is over the moon in love with her. I swear we did not push this on her, in fact we have tried other movies and nothing compares to Tinkerbell.
I don't mind, I just wish Tinkerbell was a little more educational for toddlers :)

Aunt Amy got Bria the cutest Tinkerbell slippers.
The girl is crazy about her Tinkerbell slippers.



Here's a little video of Bria "reading" and then telling me about her shoes:

It's been a little exhausting the last couple weeks.
About 2 weeks ago Bria developed a rash in between her thighs and on her bum that we assumed was a diaper rash. That's weird in itself because Bria has only had 1 diaper rash and that was when she pooped in the middle of the night and didn't make a peep so we didn't know and didn't change her until the morning, poor girl.
Back to the rash. So we started applying more A&D ointment to help, but it was not helping. She was waking up 3 or 4 times in the night because she was so uncomfortable. We felt awful, so we got some Desitin applied it at every diaper change and let her run around without pants on most the day to air her bum out.
*This also led to her telling us she had to go potty! I think potty training might be coming.
This combination totally helped. She slept through the night and seemed to be more comfortable, although the rash still wasn't going away. Fortunately we had a doctor's appointment for her 2nd flu shot and check up on Monday. He looked at it and said it wasn't a diaper rash, it was from something that irritated her skin. We followed doctor's orders by applying hydrocortizone and tada! The rash is going away quite nicely, phew!
But it's not over. Sunday was like any other day, Bria was happy and in good spirits. We put her to bed, she went right out and all was well.
9:00 pm, Bria cries out. That's weird. Don't hear another peep so we assume all is well.
9:30 pm, Bria cries and is serious this time.
I'll leave out all the details but she was up every half hour until midnight. She slept until 3 am and then was up every hour. It was the most exhausting night. I think I got 4 hours of sleep total.
Why was she up? Apparently between 7:30 pm and 9 pm she developed a cold. I have no idea how, she just did.
The poor girl has a very stuff nose and it's hard for her to sleep at night. To avoid another horrible night we decided to do a steam shower and have her be in the bathroom for a good 10 minutes (not in the hot shower of course) to loosen up the snot. I could tell it was helping. We gave her Tylenol (the cheap version because I am sooo done with Tylenol and their freaking recalls), put vapor rub on her feet and chest, and turned her humidifier on.
Then we decided to take shifts. I took from bedtime until 3 am since I have a hard time going to sleep anyway.
She woke up at 1 am and I gave her more medicine, more vapor rub, attempted to booger suck her, and rocked her for 40 minutes to help the snot drain. She fell asleep on me and I rocked her some more. She was making this sweet purring noise that reminded me of her newborn days so I just listened to her for awhile. I put her back down and didn't hear from her until 8:45 am! Wow, I was not expecting that. I guess we found a good little remedy! I'm hoping it continues to work until this darn cold goes away. Since she is older she is really showing her frustration with her stuffy nose, she'll look at me and try to breath through her nose and then get annoyed and rub it.
So that's been us in a nutshell. I did get the Christmas decorations out this last weekend which was fun. We will hopefully be getting a Christmas tree this week and I'm looking forward to decorating that, I think Bria will really like it.

2 comments:

Marissa said...

Don't you love the vapor rub on the feet? It works so well! Bee has a cold too so we were in a very similar boat last night and we get to rough it on a plane tomorrow morning!

We have to get the girls together when I'm staying with Toni and Travis in Portland, Brooklyn would love to meet Bria :)

The Beavers said...

Kendall has a cold too but I've tried everything and she still isn't sleeping well. Last night was much better but Cass was up with her from 4am on...she would be a sleep but the second he put her down she would wake up and cry. No sleep in this household. Hope Bria is feeling better...sick babies is not fun:(