Thursday, March 21, 2013

Just two thanks :)

We started doing a Holcomb family movie night once a week. It's usually on Friday, but if Brian and I do a date night or we all go to a friends' house then we move it. We get in our pj's and the girls get a fun little snack/treat and we lay out a blanket and get pillows. The girls look forward to it so much. 

Peter Pan movie night
 Reese will usually sit there for about half hour which is impressive. It's nice and relaxing and perfect family time for us.

 We have been having typical Oregon weather, it's pouring one minute and the next it's sunny. We quickly run outside when the sun is shining and soak it all up. When we see the gray skies we go back in...although yesterday Bria stayed out in her coat and rainboots and played in the backyard. I wonder what age we don't like playing in the rain anymore? Maybe I'm alone in that.

During Reese's nap Bria watches the iPad and I watch tv, such a perfect compromise ;)
Bria has started to become a lot more independent and most the time it's awesome. Just little things like getting her own drink of water, snacks, getting in the car by herself, getting dressed, cleaning up her toys (and putting them in the right spot!), and helping her sister. It makes such a huge difference for me when she is so helpful. The good thing is that she still asks permission most the time. She will ask if she can have a snack before going and raiding the cupboard which I appreciate. Then she'll go get the stool and find what she wants to eat then puts it all away. Yay for independence!
Reese also wants to be independent but a 1.5 year old is a little more frustrating. She has started throwing massive fits. Massive. Not very cool. She is cementing the fact that we are done having kids!
She is just in that hard phase where she knows what she wants but can't communicate it very well. She can say some things but not enough to convey her point to us and then she just flips out. I read this article about how to deal with them and it was saying make them feel like you understand. Think about how you want others to treat you when you are frustrated and no one is understanding you, time out or yelling would not make you feel better.
I thought, "Holy cow, I feel horrible, I should be more understanding!"
Yeah, I tried that and it did NOT help. Seriously, I tried to tell her I understood and that I also wanted to eat cookies all the time but that's not okay. And then I just felt silly because she was screaming so loudly and snot was dripping out her nose and I was almost positive she couldn't even hear me over her screaming. Maybe when she is older that advice will help, but right now it's not doing a whole lot. Plus I think it frustrates me more. I think staying calm and patient just makes my blood boil even more so when she doesn't calm down then I get all annoyed, like, "Hey, I just exhibited an immense amount of patience and you can't even stop screaming?! That is not fair." I sound incredibly mature don't I? If you're a Mom I trust you have been there.
Of course, moments like today at nap time when I read to her and then she fell asleep while I rocked her make me want to gobble up her cuteness. They also make her tantrums manageable...also bubble baths and an awesome hubby make her tantrums manageable too.

1 comment:

Tieky Torch said...

I hear you lins! Hannah is doing the exact same thing. I have tried being patient as you mentioned and it just feeds her frustration even more. I finally discovered that what works for us in taking her away from the situation, and a "cool down" for both of us. Some may think I am a bad mom for doing this, but I send hannah to her room and shut the door. It isn't time out because she doesn't quite understand that concept yet, but it allows her to see that I am not giving into her behavior and helps me because I can't hear her :) All I can say is good luck!