Thursday, January 06, 2011

Nap advanced

Nap advanced is a term I made up for Bria. My child is advanced in her napping, meaning she is ahead of schedule, meaning she has always napped less than babies/toddlers her age...meaning soon I don't think she will nap. This is the part where I cry.
Playing in her Tinker Bell fort
Precious

I had a suspicion that Bria was going to be one of those children that stop their nap early on, meaning at age 2. I would hear about these kids taking naps until 4 years old, some even until 5 and had to be weaned off naps in order to attend kindergarten. A little dream bubble would appear and I'd fast forward to Bria being 4 and just stopping her daily 2 hours naps. But then the bubble would burst at the sound of Bria talking away in her crib when she was suppose to be napping.
Why are naps so important? If you asked that silly question than you are a) not a parent yet or b) you are my hero because obviously you have some sort of special power where you can be "on" all day long and your patience tank is never empty.

Playing patty cake with MJ, MJ is such a good sport.


I need some time during the day to collect my thoughts, clean up a few things, play Wii, and blog. Nap time is my time to do that, it's also my time to recharge for the afternoon and build my patience tank back up.
I stress out when Bria doesn't nap. The funny part is that she usually does pretty well without a nap, although she does get crankier as the evening progresses. The scary part is that she usually does pretty well without a nap. Yes, I meant to repeat myself there. I'm not ready to give up naps!! I'm NOT READY! Why didn't she inherit her Dad's eternal love for napping?


But as a mom it doesn't matter if I'm ready or not, it's not about me, it's about my little one. And so I will try hard to keep going with naps, but I know sooner rather than later the naps will turn into Bria having quiet time in her crib. I should be okay with that, and part of me is, the other part is thinking it's insane that my not even 2 year old toddler will go already go without naps some days. But somehow I'll adjust, just like I did with her going from 3 to 2 naps (I think she napped 3 times a day for like 2 days) and from 2 naps to 1. I have a feeling going from 1 to 0 is going to be the hardest though. Just a hunch :)


Plus, look how adorable she is playing "Mom" with her doll. Sigh.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

I will officially cry when Austin stops napping. So far, he is more of a napper (like me). And I still have hope that he will take naps when he is older (cause I still take naps) Good luck! Maybe if Bria stops napping you could allow her to watch a favorite movie for an hour while you go in the other room and collect yourself? (I know, the TV is the devil- blah blah blah. But mommy needs a break!).

Marissa said...

I've had a couple no nap days and I totally agree with you! Brooklyn seems to do pretty well without it but mommy is EXHUASTED. I pray I have that 4 year old who still naps :)

E said...

Lyla is also on the verge of giving up naps. Well, naps at home. The stinker will still nap for two hours at my mother in law's house.

I love the pics!

The Beavers said...

It is hard! I live for peaceful moments in this house and now that only comes at night (when K decides to sleep ok...still struggling!). It's bitter/sweet. I love if Nathan will nap but if he does...he is up til 10pm. No nap...down by 8pm without a fight! It's tough but maybe find a way for Bria to have quiet time so you can have a breather. This for me means turning on Dora (Mother of the Year, I know but I have no shame in my game!). Good luck!!