Saturday, May 23, 2009

Like Mother like Daughter


It seems little Bria is taking after her mother and becoming an avid thumb sucker. She loves putting her fingers in her mouth and has done that for awhile, but Wednesday during her nap she found her thumb and was sucking away. Wednesday night she slept all the way through the night from 8:45 pm to 8:15 am, without so much as a peep. When I went to check on her she was sleeping peacefully and sucking away on her thumb. I must admit, I think it's kind of cute and I like that she has found something that is soothing her.
But Thursday morning I was laying in bed thinking of how I didn't stop sucking my thumb until I was 7 years old. That's right, 7 years old. I only did it at night, but still. My dentist made me stop sucking my thumb, I had to call him every single morning for 1 month and tell him whether I sucked my thumb or not the previous night. Once I went 30 days in a row without sucking my thumb, he would take me out to McDonalds. Now that I think about it that was really nice of him, but he always scared me because he was harsh. I did end up stopping and he took me to McDonalds. Nice guy. Side story: I was really shy growing up so I didn't talk a lot and I remember feeling kind of awkward going to McDonalds with my dentist. He asked me if I had any questions for him and I couldn't think of one. I just froze and asked the first thing that came to mind, "How much do you make?" Ooops, that was inappropriate, but I was young and didn't know any better ;)
I guess I know how to get Bria to stop sucking her thumb when she's older though, and it doesn't have to involve going to McDonalds with her dentist and asking an inappropriate question.

I also want to wish my mom a happy birthday today! She is 29 again ;) I just love my mom and hope she has a wonderful birthday today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sucked my thumb FOREVER. It's embarrassing to admit that I did it even as a teen, but at a subconscious level. I wasn't even aware that I was doing it! My family still makes fun of me, but I honestly had no idea I was doing it. I would wake up, and the thumb would be in my mouth. Natalie sucks her finger and thumb, here's hoping she really doesn't take after me. :)

Lindsay said...

That is the cutest story ever.

Steph said...

I also sucked my thumb when I was a kid... up until at was 12 years old (only at night tho!). I wouldn't admit I was still sucking my thumb, so my dad came in my room one morning while I was still sleeping and took a picture of me. Sad, I know!!

Shannon said...

I love this story, how sweet! The picture of Bria is so precious.