Monday, May 21, 2012

Not cool, Anesthesia, not cool

Bria's surgery was quick. Seriously, the procedure took 3 minutes. How do I know this? Because the Children's hospital has this cool little system in the family waiting room. Your child is issued a number and then you watch on these cool screens to see where your child is. It is incredibly detailed, it tells you when anesthesia is being administered, when the procedure has started, when it's finished, when they stop anesthesia, and when they are in the recovery room.


Here she is getting her blood pressure taken

Waiting to be taken back

Her cute little sign :)


She was given an oral sedative and we waited for it to take effect and for the anesthesiologist. It's funny to see your child on a sedative, it's like seeing her drunk. One minute she was all lovey and the next she wanted us to go away. We couldn't help but laugh. 

Happy Bria

Mad Bria

Silly Bria

Perplexed Bria

Who knows.

Then the anesthesiologist came and it was time for us to go wait...and watch the information screens.
I watched these screens like it was a new episode of Friends that I had never seen. I was glued. Anesthesia was 20 minutes (holycowiwasfreaking), procedure was 3 minutes, finishing procedure was 6 minutes and then the recovery room was 31 minutes. I was not okay with this 31 minutes crap, I wanted to see my daughter!!! I wanted to be there when she woke up all groggy and cuddle her and sing to her and she would lazily lay there while I comforted her.
Then a nurse came in and instead of wheeling Bria out and us all walking back to her room, she said one of us could go back in the recovery room. I should've know this was not a great sign.
I started walking back there and could hear her screaming. I went to her and her eyes were closed but she was thrashing and crying hysterically. I tried to sooth her, she kind of opened her eyes but they were rolling all over the place and she was hoarse from screaming. She was trying to rip her IV out. After about 15 minutes (it felt like an hour) they finally just let us take her to her room. She was still screaming, even after they took the IV out. To make a long story short, it was over an hour of us trying to calm her down. She could barely cry or talk because her voice was gone. Finally she calmed down long enough so that they could release us and we drove home. She ate and then went down for a very long nap.
I thought we were out of the woods when she woke up to her normal self, we were for a little bit. But due to the pain meds they gave her, she was very constipated. Again, I won't go into detail but it's been 3 days and the girl still screams bloody murder every time she has to go. At one point I started crying because I felt so helpless and she was screaming and crying and saying, "Make the pain stop, Mom!!! What's wrong with me?!?!?! Make the pain go away!!!!" Yeah, I wanted to die. I have never felt so awful and helpless.
I'm not entirely sure if it still hurts to try and go or if she is scared. Can't blame her, it's been pretty traumatic for her. 
So we have not done much else besides comfort our poor little toddler. Both our Moms came up and I honestly don't know what we would've done without them. They cleaned, cooked, let us sleep, and took care of the girls. They are angels, we love them so much.
Hopefully things will be back to normal and regular pooping can be restored. Until then...we've got our hands full.

No comments: