Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Yeah, we're those parents

We had an eventful weekend in terms of close calls. On Thursday we went to McDonalds for dinner as a fun treat and sat down to enjoy our tasty and fatty dinner. Bria was blowing us away because she was eating her apple slices, wahoo! She would dip them in the caramel sauce and then take a bite and Brian and I would barely breath so as not to disturb this fantastic new milestone.
We continued eating when Bria started coughing and then choking, I wacked her back a few times like I've done in the past but this time it didn't work. She looked at us like, "I can't breathe, HELP!!!!" I picked her up, handed her to Brian who was now standing up and he did the heimlich on her, trying to shove the apple out of her airway. It worked and she spit out a few chunks of apple. It was seriously crazy and we were freaked out. We made her chew each bite carefully and then swallow it before letting her have more. She recovered much faster from the incident than we did that's for sure. The rest of dinner Brian and I spent looking at each other like, "Did that just happen? Oh my gosh let's puree all her food and never stop giving her loves."

On Saturday we were at REI shopping and Bria wanted to go in the elevator. We were waiting for it to come up, looking at hats and what not when she climbs in and the doors shut. Yep, just like on Modern Family, or in the movies. I RAN downstairs while Brian stayed upstairs in case she stayed on the elevator. I think I freaked everyone out in the store, seeing a pregnant lady running usually makes people concerned. I made it downstairs and saw a crying little toddler scared to death and felt horrible. Not sure if she still likes the elevator or not, it seemed to take her awhile to recuperate from that one. Brian and I felt so stupid, how could we have let that happen? Oh well, I guess you live and learn. I held her for awhile until she finally decided she was hungry and then I carefully gave her some food, watching her to make sure she didn't choke or run in the elevator again.
Whew, parenting is exhausting! How are we going to do this with 2?

I think we'll figure out a way, I mean, kids are also adorable and hilarious.
I had to snap some pictures of Bria playing with Barbies. Growing up I was OBSESSED with Barbies, along with my sisters. We played Barbies all the time, my Mom even sewed adorable clothes for them. Anyway, I was so excited she wanted to play Barbies, I think it's time to start buying more and then buy them clothes and cars and houses and I'm so excited to play Barbies with her!!! Whew, that was a long run-on sentence.

However, as much as she may enjoy playing Barbies for a little bit, her preference is to be outside in the dirt.
And I've gotten a lot better about letting her get dirty. In fact, I think I'm more okay with it then Brian, I finally found something I'm more relaxed about than him, wahoo!
I changed my blog design a little, I'm obsessed with purple right now, can you tell? :)
Alright, nap time is almost over so I'm gonna try and fold laundry or something productive.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh my goodness! I got chills from reading about Bria's choking incident. That is one of my biggest fear. Good for you guys acting fast! And the elevator! What a weekend. I was obsessed with Barbies as a kid too. I totally played until I was 14.

Kris and MaLanie said...

Wow! So scary! The elevator thing happened to my mom and I with MarLeice when she was like 3. I still remember the sick feeling in my stomach. Glad everything turned out fine. Bria looks adorable in her summer outfit.

E said...

I don't know if you remember but Lyla chocked on apple when she was just starting to eat it. I had to do the finger sweep and throw her over my arm and pound on her back. Apple still terrifies me as a food. I'm sooooo glad Bria is ok.

Kelly said...

That elevator thing made me laugh, but oh my goodness, what a scary ordeal for her (and you two, I'm sure!)! The choking thing, well, that's what happened with Adam, and we all know how that story ends. Now anytime Natalie coughs or gets sick, we are on high alert. She got car sick the other day and then immediately fell asleep after throwing up. I was shaking her face and yelling her name, thinking she stopped breathing. So scary. I'm sorry you had to experience that, and I'm so happy Bria's ok!

Anonymous said...

I have visuals of you two at McDonalds and REI...so glad she is ok. I have to admit the visual of you running through REI pregnant is kinda funny. With two Bria will be watching the new little one so close it will make it easier on ya'll. Love your updates :).
Amy