Friday, July 30, 2010

Play date and a bad night

On Wednesday we had a realtor viewing at our house so Bria and I had to find a place to go from 10-2. Right in the middle of nap time, awesome. In the morning we headed to Erin and Gabe's for a fun play date, Gabe and Bria played pretty well together, despite a few hitting episodes from Bria. But she's getting better, or so she is making me think.

They had a lot of fun outside with the water table

Gabe attempting to press the water button while Bria takes notes






Then we went to my Dad's where Bria took a little nap and woke up on the very wrong side of the pack 'n play. She had a fever of 102 the night before but Brian and I thought it was because we'd been out in the sun and mix that with teething we thought for sure she'd be a little warm. However, after I left my Dad's I went home to find out her temperature was at 103. Ugh. I called the doctor to find out what I needed to look for and what I should do. They gave me instructions of lots of fluids, Tylenol/ibuprofen every 4 hours, make sure she has wet diapers, and call in the morning if the fever is still that high. That night she falls asleep in my arms at 7 pm when I was rocking her in the brown chair downstairs. It's been a long time since she's done that and I soak in the moment.
Thursday morning her temperature was 99.9 so I thought, phew, she's getting better! I decide there is no need to take her in since her fever is going down.
Fast forward a few hours, Bria has a not so good nap and wakes up with a temperature of 102 ish (the ear thermometer said 103.8 and the under arm one said 100.5, I think they say the under arm is the more accurate right?). I call the doctor again and give the symptoms and wait for the nurse to call back. More Tylenol and a trip to the store to walk around, Bria all the sudden becomes her normal self and is totally happy walking all over Old Navy and pulling shirts off the shelves. So I think she is done and there is no need to go to the doctor. Oh silly me, that's just what they want you to think!
I put her down for bed that night and she fusses for a few minutes so I go in and rock her to sleep again. Bad habit, I know, but it's so darn sweet. I lay her down and think, maybe she'll sleep good tonight. Once again, I'm being so naive.
Half hour later she fusses and whines and thus begins the horrible horrible night. I felt like we were back in the newborn days, she woke up almost every single hour. I would scratch her back or rock her and she'd go to sleep, only to wake up soon after. Sometimes she wasn't awake, she was just crying in her sleep. It was a rough night.
I took her temperature again today and it said 97.9. Now, I want to say: phew! But I'm not celebrating early this time, it'll be a couple nights of good sleep before I celebrate. I really do hope she is getting better, I know it's worse for her because who wants to feel icky and sleep so poorly? My initial worry was an infection, like a UTI or ear infection but she isn't showing symptoms of either of those and the doctor's office agreed. Although if the fever persists we'll check anyway because she just might have different symptoms for those. Here is to hoping that she is on the mend and that darn fever stays away.

1 comment:

Kris and MaLanie said...

I feel for you Lindsey!! Sleepness nights suck especially since you feel so awful for your baby. Hope Bria feels better soon!