Thursday, January 31, 2008

He's Here!

We had more snow here and this time we were able to enjoy it!
Sunday morning we woke up to inches of beautiful white powder snow. We suited up and headed to Chris and Brandi's house to make a snowman, have a snowball fight, and take a walk around the neighborhood. We had a blast and I took lots of pictures which I'll load a little later. After we enjoyed the outdoors for a few hours we headed in to switch on the fireplace and drink hot chocolate. It was a perfect winter day :-)

Tuesday started out as any normal day: snoozed as long as possible, finally got up, went to work, counted down the hours until 5 pm, and then started my drive home. This is where things changed. When I was on the bus (the one that takes us to the lot where our cars are parked) my phone apparently rang but my ringer was so low I didn't hear it. I got off the bus and saw I missed a call from Brandi, so I called her back. Chris answered and I told him I was returning a call from Brandi. He was kind of quiet and I asked if everything was okay. He said Brandi had gone into pre-term labor at 33 weeks. Corvallis wasn't equipped to handle a baby that early so they transported her by ambulance down to Eugene after giving her medicine to try and stop the labor. I headed down to Eugene with Chris and we got there about 8 pm. At first the medicine seemed to work, but at about 5 am on Wednesday she was progressing and little Austin was on his way! He was born at 10:19 am on Wednesday and was 3 lbs 15 ounces of perfection. He cried right away which we weren't expecting since he was so tiny, but it was a wonderful sound. They even laid him on mommy's stomach for a minute which I know she loved. I was able to take tons of pictures so they could show their family. The original plan was to have both their moms come out early so they could be there for the delivery since all their family is in West Virginia, but Austin had other plans. I know it was hard not having her mom there so my hope was to help her as much as possible. I felt honored to be there for his birth, there is nothing like a new little life entering the world. This was my fourth delivery that I was present for (I was there for all 3 of my sister's births) so I think I'll be getting my badge soon ;-)
Austin is doing great, he came out pink and crying and didn't have to be hooked up to oxygen, he was breathing on his own. He is still doing great and mom is also doing wonderful, considering. Brandi definitely recovered fast and was making to do lists for when their moms get here, today.


She was amazing through the whole thing and I am so happy for the new mom and new dad. James Austin Taylor is absolutely beautiful, you did good :-)

1 comment:

Cami said...

How great you were there to be a support. Childbirth is amazing!