Thursday, April 10, 2014

And then she ate it...

...on the pavement:
 Ugh.
Watching your child fall is never fun. You want them to be tough so you try not to freak out and freak them out, but you want to save them.
I've gotten pretty good lately about waiting for their response and just politely asking if they are okay. It's worked really well, Bria is getting pretty tough and only cries if she is really hurt. Except for maybe when it comes to changing her earrings, she is still a little sensi about that :)
So she was riding her scooter down hill which is pretty daring for her and we were super proud. Then it happened...the speed wobbles. She was just going too fast and the scooter couldn't handle it and just crashed. Watching her little body flail was heartbreaking but I quickly reminded myself to stay calm as I ran to her. I scooped her up calmly in my arms while I sat with her, waiting for her to move her hand so I could see the damage.
I was relieved that everything seemed to be surface level, nothing deep. But her face was pretty scraped along with her shoulder, hands, and knees. Pretty much everywhere you would expect. It was her right side of her body that got the impact. Her handle bar was bent in half so we checked her body to make sure it didn't puncture her somewhere. She was shaken up and crying, but calmed down pretty fast. She kept saying, "I tried to be brave but it just hurt I couldn't stop crying."
It broke my heart to hear her say that and we kept assuring her that she was very brave. Especially the next day when she got right back on her scooter!!! I was so ecstatic and incredibly proud that she got right back on that horse.
I think she enjoys her battle scars a little bit, she feels tough. When she went to preschool the next day all her little friends ran over to her and exclaimed, "What happened?!" She is definitely soaking up the sympathy she is getting :) And we are applying Neosporin daily to hopefully have it heal faster and avoid scarring.
On the positive side, at least it didn't happen right before school or family pictures right?

No comments: