Monday, July 18, 2011

It's been 5 years!

Brian and I have been married 5 incredible years. It hasn't always been easy, but it's all been worth it. It's nice to know that at the end of the day, my best friend is by my side.
We celebrated our 5 year anniversary at the beach. It was AMAZING. First, Aunt Heather was kind enough to watch Bria for us and we are incredibly grateful. We really needed time to be just us, especially before little girl #2 comes along and our lives double in craziness...and happiness :)
So we dropped Bria off early Saturday afternoon and headed over to the coast. We decided on Seaside since neither of us had been before, we didn't have hotel reservations or plans at all, we were just going with the flow and it felt awesome. I really enjoyed being spontaneous and not having set plans or a place to be at a certain time. We rolled into Seaside and stopped by a few hotels to see our options. We ended up staying at the Shilo Inn that was literally on the beach, it was fabulous, and pretty inexpensive. Our room was small and didn't have a view, but we really didn't care because we spent most of our time out and about. Once we dropped our stuff off in the room we went on a stroll on the Promenade, which was right outside our hotel. I'm telling you, we found the best hotel to stay at. We stopped and had lunch since we were starving. We found a very delicious Hawaiian burger place and got a drink:


Shirley Temple please :)

I devoured my Teriyaki burger and was ready for more walking. We spent hours walking into little stores and looking at trinkets and such, it was fabulous. We even went in an arcade place and played a bunch of games which was so much fun. I beat Brian a few times at skee ball (that was our favorite game, we're so old school) and I even beat him at air hockey (although later in the night he would beat me pretty bad at it). We won some tickets and used them to get Bria a few prizes, it's nice she is at the age where a little American flag and parachute guy make her ecstatic :)
We decided to head to the beach since the weather Gods were smiling down on us and not raining.
Not only was it not raining but the temperature was actually pretty comfortable. We didn't even need jackets!
We of course dipped our feet in the freezing cold Ocean. Once your feet get numb it's all good.
I can still see my feet :)

The back of our hotel (and many others)

After we soaked up all the beach fun, we headed back to our room to get ready for dinner. We ended up going to a little restaurant right down the street (it was so nice walking everywhere). It was a little spendy but it was our anniversary so we splurged. However, Brian's steak was cooked incorrectly, TWICE. The waiter was very nice about everything but it was a little frustrating. They did comp us which was very nice, our expensive dinner ended up costing the same as our lunch! I ended up getting dessert since I wasn't enjoying all the drinks Brian was :) I got a delicious marionberry crisp (my favorite!) that hit the spot.
After dinner we went and played miniature golf, and even with my big belly I won! It was only by 1 so it was a really close game, but it counts :) We walked around some more and then stopped by a bar where we stayed for awhile and played Scrabble. Brian had never played before which I couldn't believe, he's pretty smart so I was nervous, but I ended up winning. I think the 3 beers he had didn't help his game :)
It may sound lame that we played Scrabble, but we seriously had a blast and lots of fun inside jokes were made. It doesn't matter what we do, we have fun together.
Afterwards we decided to play a few more games at the arcade, then got ice cream and headed back to our room. It was pretty late and I was getting tired.
Sunday morning we slept in until 8:45 am (funny how sleeping in is very different once you're a parent) and then checked out and got some breakfast. We stopped by the outlet mall and got Bria and baby girl #2 some adorable clothes at Carter's. Then we headed home. We had wanted to go to the beach one more time but the rain was in full force, and it was all the way home.
It was wonderful coming home to our Bria and she was very happy to see us :) She had a blast of course and slept in the big queen guest bed, such a big girl :)
We had such an amazing time, it really reminded me that we need to go on date nights and mini vacations more often. Life gets so busy and we tend to make excuses about money or such, but it's amazing how refreshed we both feel.
We're definitely going to need our "us" time once we have 2 kiddos!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful time!! I'm glad you got to enjoy each other's company!! :)

Sara

Kris and MaLanie said...

Wow, you managed to cram quite a lot into your little weekend trip. You guys definitely deserved it and I'm glad you were able to get away.