Saturday, March 08, 2014

We went to Arizona! Part 1

I have a lot to catch up on, Bria's birthday party number 1. I will, but first I wanted to start sharing our big adventure to Arizona. It was a very eventful trip, the first 16 hours were unreal. Here is a recap:

1. Barely made our flight, we were RUNNING through the whole airport
2. Ate the best muffin of our entire lives thanks to our Aunt Cathy
3. At the pool a boy accidentally swam on top of Bria and freaked her out, that was the end of our swimming
4. Bria got bit by a scorpion. Dear Lord I don't think we will ever recover
5. Urgent care, poison control, no sleep 
6. We lose Peppy (my Grandma's dog) and search all over the neighborhood
7. I find Peppy upstairs in our room, he had gotten shut inside
8. Have to go find my Grandma
9. Scorpion bites cause immense pain for 2 days

But let's focus on the positive parts of the trip. Because although it was crazy, it was amazing wonderful and I just love my trips to Arizona.
Jax and Jenny came up the night before and we were all giddy with excitement. Although the airport was stressful, once we passed the gate we relaxed and these two cousins began a fabulous trip together, one where Jax would say, "Bria" clear as day all day and it was precious.

Walking to the plane

He loved sitting on Bria's lap, she loved it too
 Flight went great, both kids were fabulous, and our Grandma and Aunt Cathy were there to pick us up. My Aunt asked if we were hungry and we screamed YES. She didn't ask another question, just drove straight to a fabulous lunch place that was kid friendly. Then talked us into getting a muffin and DAMN I'm glad she did. It was by far the best muffin I have ever had and will ever have. They put those Costco ones to shame, no joke.

 The kids needed to run energy out and Cathy and my Grandma took turns taking them outside. It's fabulous to be with people who are use to kids and had no problem helping us out. Family is amazing.
Cool dude!
 GG (Great Grandma to the great grandkids) turned on her fountain and Bria thought that was fabulous.
Jax took a nice long nap and Bria and I headed to the clubhouse for some swiming.

 She was a little fishy and we had such a wonderful time together. I kept hugging her and telling her how much I loved her, very glad we had this time together. Especially since in just a few hours, shit would hit the fan.
 A little boy accidentally swam on top of her (he was maybe being a little crazy, but didn't have bad intentions) and while Bria was underwater swimming to me she got clobbered by him. She sucked in a ton of water and was out for awhile.

We eventually headed home for some dinner. The evening was going great. It was almost 8 pm so I was going to put Bria to bed but first thought we could play a game together. Her and I walked to the game closet together which is at the bottom of the stairs, and then it happened.
Her scream was so intense I knew it was bad. I was trying to get her to tell me what exactly was wrong and she screamed and pointed, "THAT!"
And I saw it.
A disgusting light brown scorpion that haunts my dreams to this day.
Dear Lord it was disgusting.
I grabbed her and ran to the living room screaming for help. Jenny and Grandma came running and I think I spit out the word scorpion in my hysterics. Jenny researched what to do, got a pack of ice, cotton ball of bleach (which actually calmed Bria down a little bit, I think the bleach helped kill some of the venom or something), and then we got in the car and drove to urgent care.
We were there for awhile and when we went back the doctor basically said it was like treating a bee sting, there wasn't a lot you could do besides pain meds. 
Blerg.
So they gave her a dose of Tylenol and said she should be better by morning, to which I would learn he was a big fat liar.
If it wasn't for Jenny, I would not have survived. Apparently scorpion stings have contraction like pain where it comes in waves. So Bria would scream and thrash for nearly an hour and then fall asleep for almost an hour. Repeat, repeat, repeat. I tried so hard to be patient and kind and for the most part I was, but I'll admit there were times I would just tell her to calm down and stop screaming. I'm not proud of it, wish I could stay calm but I'm not the best in these situations. I was scared, unsure, and so tired. Without Brian there I wanted to cry, but Jenny saved me. She came in every time Bria cried, she would reassure me, call poison control, and then at 3 am she went to the store to get an array of medicine. The clerk asked her if she was feeling alright and when she told him about Bria he grabbed his arm and said, "Oh man those hurt! It was 2 days straight of pain."
This reassured us in that Bria's pain was normal, but also, 2 days?! Ugh.
Friday morning was spent rubbing Bria's foot and legs and trying to soothe her. Finally at noon she went down for a 3+ hour nap. So happy for her to have gotten some rest. And while she napped I got to catch up with some of my cousins and Aunt Christy. We laughed and laughed and talked. I love my family.

1 comment:

LoAnn said...

So sorry about this