Wednesday, May 21, 2008

MJ-Everyone's Best Friend

Brian and I got MJ over 3 years ago, when she was 10 weeks old. Growing up I had no animals, not even a gold fish, so I was thrilled to be getting my very own dog. I heard how much work they can be, but was blindsided by her overwhelming cuteness. Brian and his friend Shane went to pick her up while I was at work. We discussed names and Shane actually brought up Maxine Jr. Brian's Dad had a dog named Max who had just passed away. So it seemed fitting, MJ for short. When I first saw that little white puff ball I was totally in love, she was the cutest dog there ever was. She licked me right away which I took as a sign she knew I was her mother and loved me unconditionally-I now realize MJ licks anything, anyone, anywhere, at anytime.
Potty training was hard-for me. Brian is incredibly patient and knew it would take time, I on the other hand didn't understand why she wasn't potty trained in the first 24 hours. It was simple, go to the door and I will let you out. What's so hard about that? Oh boy did I have a lot to learn. She gradually learned although it would be a good year before she stopped having regular accidents.
Right away MJ was a good sleeper. She slept through the night without whining or barking-I consider myself very lucky as I've heard horror stories.
MJ was quiet from the very beginning, instead of barking MJ licked. I always imagine what MJ would do if we had an intruder: wag her tail furiously and lick them to death. For the most part she is still not a barker, she does bark when she sees other dogs and right before she goes to the bathroom. We like to think she's annoucning to the neighborhood that she's about to go the bathroom so please give her some privacy, unfortunately it does quite the opposite.
MJ loves people. I mean loves people. She truly thinks she is one of the grandkids when we go to my parents house, and is treated so. She would rather be with people than other dogs, which ends up looking very snobby on her part. Although, she loves Brandi and Chris' dog, Malise, most likely because she spends so much time with her. It warms my heart to walk in the door from work and be greeted with such excitement, she comes running over and wags her tail so much I fear it will fall off. Then she gives as many kisses as she can get in-which is usually quite a bit, sneaky little thing.
Brian and I love this dog more than anything, she is truly our first little baby and completes our little family.....for now.

Can you just hear MJ saying: "Really mom, candy canes?"
MJ definitely has her spots in the house where she lays, usually it's on a blanket or a shirt of ours that we leave on the floor (which never happens). She always has to be on the highest point or on a pillow-such a princess.
MJ loves our neighbor Chris, I think because he constantly pets her and lets her lick him. She will be so sad when they move this summer.
One of the things I love about MJ is her easy-going nature. She is so good with kids and that is very reassuring.
Again, MJ thinks she is a person and has no problem taking my seat or my side of the bed :)
I can't help but dress up this adorable dog in costumes, she was the cutest bumble bee ever. I'm not sure she agrees though...
MJ loves to help Brian with his homework, or maybe it's the fact she gets to look out the window at Brandi and Chris' house in hopes for a glimpse of Malise. Either way, it's adorable.
When MJ plays with her toys she has to have a blanket, again she's a princess. But it's pretty funny to watch because most the time she uses the blanket to bury and hide her toy and then backs up and dives at it. I love it.
Again, she is treated like a grandchild, hence the reason she is looking longingly at my Dad in this picture:
Our little family

7 comments:

Robyn Baird said...

OH my goodness those pictures made me laugh. Truely MJ does think she is human. LOL

Leslie Collins said...

MJ is so stinkin' cute. Great post.

Kristin said...

She is so cute!:)

Shannon said...

what a cool dog!

Anonymous said...

She's adorable!

-Wed

Kari said...

Super cute family and I love all those pics! MJ is a very cute dog!

Mandy said...

i want to be friends with mj. real bad.