Sunday, April 19, 2015

Best principal ever

I adore Bria's school. It has been such a wonderful experience and I'm so grateful for her teacher and all the amazing staff there.
Back from the first day of school, she has already grown so much!

There are so many parents who spend countless hours and days volunteering to ensure our kids get the best education. And to top it off, the principal is without a doubt the best Principal out there. I knew I liked him when I would see him out at recess with the kids, when he could call almost all students by name, and when I noticed he comes out everyday after school to say goodbye to the kids and see them on the bus. He is dedicated to improving the lives of those kids and I have never met someone who is so genuine.
So when we got word that the owner of our rental was selling, I was determined to find another rental in the same school district.
Well...the market up in Portland is ridiculous. And I didn't have the luxury of being so picky. We moved 2 miles away and guess what? She is in a different school district. I was crushed. Fortunately they said she could absolutely finish the year there.
But my worry was about next year too. Our plan is to buy in a year or two (once we can save the massive down payment needed to live in this incredibly expensive area, seriously Portland...why do you think old houses that need renovations are worth $450,000?!) and I don't want to move her yet again. So I filled out the required paperwork and then decided to email Mr. C (the principal) and let him know our story. I am on the PTC and volunteer so my hope was that my presence would count for something. Guess what?
The very next day he called me. He didn't ignore my email, he didn't email back, he CALLED me on the phone. I was blown away. He said he would love to have our family and Bria back next year and although he couldn't guarantee it right away (overcrowding and numbers are a big issue) he was pretty positive Bria would stay next year.
I wanted to cry I was so happy! 
I wish I could think of a way to thank him, not only for being so considerate to us, but for everything he does for the school and students. 
In addition to the awesome staff, they have really cool after school programs that I love to take advantage of. Bria did jump rope club after school for awhile and then a Mad Science program that she loved. Good stuff for sure.
 
Jump ropin'!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is awesome to be at a school you love! My kids are also in a school we love with teachers and principals we adore. They make the school such a positive learning and safe environment, my kids all love school. I make it a point to send a real letter in the mail each year. I send one to the principal about each of my children's teachers about what a great year we had and the positive impacts on my kid- I use specific examples. This year the principal has really gone above and beyond for us, so I am in the process of writing one about her, and I plan to send it to the school superintendent and the board of education. I feel like people have no problem complaining and sending negative notes, I really try to make an effort to make known when we have a positive experience. Sounds like you are having a great experience- might be worth a letter!

I sent a comment yesterday- but I did it from my phone- so I am not sure it went through- if it did sorry for the double.