Thursday, July 17, 2014

Sleeping can be challenging

The other night I was dead asleep and heard a thud. It was the kind of noise most wouldn't wake up to except a Mom. 3 seconds later came the cries of my youngest and I went in to find her on the floor. Poor girl had fallen out of bed. I laid with her until she fell back asleep and it wasn't until the morning I saw the poor girls' battle scars. A nice bump and bruise on her head and a busted up lip. 


 Poor girl! She handled it pretty well though, she is my tough cookie for sure. She is also our cuddler and wants to sleep in our bed every night. 95% of the time I walk her back to her bed, Brian and I love our girls but we enjoy our bed being just ours. One night she came in and had to go to the bathroom and after I took her she apparently couldn't get back to sleep so came in with us. I was too tired to take her back so I just let her stay.
Have any of you seen the sleep positions of kids?
This is the letter H

This is Reese's favorite letter apparently
One of my favorite times to watch my girls sleep is in the car. It means that 1. SILENT CAR RIDE!!! and 2. They are cute and asleep

Passed out after a swimming pool party
All of a sudden our girls are taking turns each night coming into our room to sleep with us. They usually do so well to sleep all night long in their own beds, but I'm thinking with this heat they aren't sleeping as soundly. 
I recently decided to pick a few battles with my girls. I mentioned how I was basically at my wits end with their fighting, so that is one battle I'm picking. Any fighting or screaming of any kind results in both girls in their bedrooms, no questions asked. The challenge is to be consistent but I'm up for the challenge because I cannot handle their fighting anymore. The second battle I have decided to pick is food. I'm tired of basically making two different meals, one for me and one for the rest of my family. So they eat what I make or they don't eat. 
Honestly, I feel at peace with these decisions. I think I'm constantly feeling guilty about things as a Mom, I question if I'm being too harsh or not letting them just be little kids. However, it's also my job to teach them respect and responsibility. Now that I have allowed myself these battles I realize it's more than fair to expect them to be kind to each other and to eat what I make. Whew, let's hope there are some positive changes around here!


1 comment:

Kayla Armstrong said...

Good for you Lu! You are a very brave and strong mama and these girls are lucky to have you!