Monday, March 17, 2008

Sweet 16

Along with every other 15 year old, I was looking forward to my sweet sixteen so much I knew how many weeks, days, hours, and minutes until my 16th birthday it was at all times. Well, maybe that is a slight exaggeration but it helped get my point across, I was THRILLED to be able to drive. It represented independence, maturity, and make out sessions. Just kidding mom and dad, seriously that never happened.

Anyway, my mom thought it was a good idea that my Dad teach me how to drive, for the sanity of both her and I :) My dad only had stick shift cars, so while learning how to drive, I also learned how to drive a manual, a skill I am proud to know-thanks Dad! He had a mustang and his truck, needless to say we took the truck out for my lessons.

One afternoon we decided to go drive around and I of course was in heaven, although still a little rough in first gear. Also, and this is important, the concept of braking was a little difficult for me (I never said I was brilliant). I thought I HAD to push the clutch in when I would push on the brake, which isn't necessarily true. Plus, I was not good at down shifting. So I opted to use the brake as little as possible. We are finishing up our lovely drive in the country and I pull in my dad's neighborhood, getting ready to turn right down his street. I am bummed our drive is over and I would like to keep going (although I don't communicate this with my dad) so I am looking for any excuse to continue our drive. I see Lance and his friend on the sidewalk and ask my dad if I should follow them, he kind of shrugs (he was probably more than ready for the turbulence-filled drive to be over) and I am not sure if I should take that as a yes or a no, my indecisiveness kicks in and before I know it I'm not exactly turning right, but I'm also not going straight, I'm heading in between the two, right for the fire hydrant. Do I brake? Nope. And before I know what happened :::SMACK::: I hit the fire hydrant and a little water shoots up. I am in complete and total shock. It's okay though, I handle these situations very well, I got out of the car, started crying hysterically and ran down the street to my dad's house. Yep, I hit and ran!

My dad checked the truck out and drove it home to consul his driving-impaired daughter. He was very sweet and wasn't mad, he was grateful we didn't take the mustang otherwise it would've caused more damage. Thanks for being patient Dad, at least we can look back on this and laugh, right? Right? Dad? ;-)

I have since learned how to be a better driver and apply the brake whenever necessary.

7 comments:

Jensen Five said...

I love that story! It gave me, yet, another good laugh!

Kari said...

I had to learn to drive on a stick too! I, on the other hand, was terrified of driving. Too much responsibility. I was afraid I'd kill someone. My dad had to trick me into getting my license. Loved the story. Isn't it funny how many growing pains stories we all have?

Cami said...

That is a great story.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! Great story!:)

Robyn Baird said...

Oh freak! That is hillarious. I just love your Dad. He is the sweetest, caring, calmest Man I've ever met.

Anonymous said...

Lindsey Lou,

I remember it like it was yesterday! I was more concerned that no one was hurt than anything. Also, I didn't want you to feel bad. After all, it's easy to fix a car. You may not remember this, but there was also a STOP sign located right by the hydrant. It was leaning quite a bit after the hit. I moved the truck, and was trying to lean the sign upright when the neighbor came out. I just looked at him with a little smile, kicked some dirt around the post, and got in the truck and drove home. I don't think he even knew what had happened.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter! Hope you have a great day!