Friday, September 14, 2007

Work Politics, HELP!

First, the good stuff:

Family:
Next week we have family coming into town for Jenny's reception and I am getting so excited. They all came last year for our wedding but I didn't get to spend as much time with them as I would have liked. This time around Brian and I get to have some of them stay at our house, they will be our first out of town guests! My cousin Tasha and Robyn, along with their husbands and kids will be staying with us and I'm just thrilled. I have lots to clean before they come so I better get crackin!

Bachelorette Party Dessert:
Tomorrow is Amy's bachelorette party and I am bringing a dessert. Originally I wanted to bring a cheesecake because that is what she likes, but I was told to scratch anything that needed to stay cold. Any ideas? I am starting to stress a little (weird, huh?) since it's tomorrow, so any suggestions are much appreciated.

Work Politics:
Work today is of course going by slowly, seems to be the case every Friday. But I know the weekend will go by even faster. My job is going well, but the people and politics are a whole other story. I know every job comes with politics but it is out of hand here. I am dealing with actual bullies, am I in high school again? Ever since I got here I've been trying to be invisible and just do my work, but there is this woman who is the ring leader of the "mafia" and every time you turn around she has a machete and is just going to town on your back. I mean she trash talks people that she claims are her friends. Plus, even though her position title is one of the lowest, she seems to have lots of persuasion, due to her manipulative magical powers. The icing on the cake is that she spends 95% of her day pointing fingers and blaming everybody else. Usually it's people that just left the agency so they are not here to stand up for themselves. But I've heard her throw my name around and I try to ignore her. I'm pretty sensitive and a huge people pleaser so my thought is that I can learn to build a tougher skin in having to deal with her. Unfortunately for me she applied for my position and didn't get it, so automatically she hated me from the start. If there is anybody reading this that has any experience with this I could really use some encouragement, I don't want to let her win!

2 comments:

Kari said...

I think I agree with Julia. Try to ignore her. She sounds insecure and rightfully so if she burns bridges the way she does. That said, when you do have interactions with her or times where you can't avoid her, kill her with kindness. That's something my grandma always said and it's never failed me in the long run. The nicer you are the worse she looks. And if that doesn't happen, at least she'll start to realize she's the jerk and you're a good person. Anyway, good luck and hang in there. :) ~Kari

Anonymous said...

Hi..I have worked with a lot of people over the years like this lady you are talking about. She sounds really mean, but you almost have to feel sorry for her. She must not have anything going on in her life to just sit around and talk about everyone and blame everyone else for everything. Right now I work with someone who isn't an in your face "bully" but like the lady you work with she has powers over the other teachers and sometimes our bosses to get things the way that she wants them. She drives me crazy too! Good Luck! I hope things get better for you soon!