Thursday, September 18, 2008

I told you so

Guess who decided to take a class this fall? My ever ambitious husband. I was completely against the idea and was going to make sure it didn't happen. But yesterday when he called and asked if we could talk about the idea of him taking a class this fall, I liked his approach and decided to open my mind.

Why I didn't want him to take a class this fall:
1.) Finances. We need to finish paying off my student loans before the baby comes-end of story. We don't have the money to fork over for a class.
2.) He is burned out and needs a break.
3.) I am burned out and need a break.

Why he wanted to take a class this fall:
1.) He wants to get done with his Masters ASAP.
2.) He planned on taking 2 in the winter and this way he can take 1 now, and only 1 in the winter without getting behind.
3.) He is focusing on Finance and not all finance classes are offered every term.
4.) He's a butt munch and likes to stress me out.

We took a walk and discussed all these things. He understood the financial part and said he would apply for financial aid today so we wouldn't have to delay paying off my student loans. That may sound pointless, paying off one debt and adding another, but we can lump his student loans together for one payment. Also, his student loans are quite high so what is another $1300?
Anyway, that made me feel a lot better. Plus, I could tell he wanted this so bad and I can't help it, I like to make that darn guy happy. Those freakin' dimples are my weakness. As far as him being burned out, taking just 1 class instead of 2 will hopefully help with that. So he's had a few weeks off which I think is good, and now he's back to being busy :( Oh well, focus on the end goal right? I will be soooo happy when he is done with his MBA.

Along the lines of student loans, they are getting to be quite outrageous. It feels like it will take us decades to recoop the costs of these darn things and it's very frustrating. Why can't they make college a little more affordable? Does anybody else feel like they'll never pay off their studen loans?

On a brighter note: Lance graduated from boot camp, yay buddy! My mom took some pictures at his graduation:
Proud dad (on the left), smiling mom (behind Lance and to the right) and happy stepmom (far right):
So grown up!

I can't say enough how proud we are of him!

My mom said it poured in Chicago the weekend of his graduation, at least it was held inside :) They had a good time though. They spent a few minutes with him after the ceremony and then about 2 hours with him at the airport before he flew off to Mississippi for his A school. Now he can use his cell phone and labtop, yay!

Oh, and you know how I was complaining about my insurance changing to something not as good? Well UPS decided to do the same thing, aw, thanks guys. Man do they have good timing, right before our little bundle is do both of our insurance is changing to plans that are worse. I don't like to talk politics, but we need a freakin' CHANGE!!!

All this financial stuff gets me all stressed out and I fear it will affect our plans of me being a SAHM. I may have to look for a job where I can work from home part-time. But that is me being negative, I need to focus on the many positives going on in our life, which are abundant. Everytime I think about the little one growing inside me all the fears and stresses go away and life gets put in perspective. We are so looking forward to meeting this baby.

Tonight we are going to Sarah and Travis' for game night which I am looking forward to. They have a Wii and we love playing it! We usually laugh for 90% of the time we are with them and the Wii only increases that, good times.

Alright, that about sums things up for me for awhile, yay for the weekend almost being here!

5 comments:

Shannon said...

School loans are the worst! I was fortunate that my company paid for most of my MBA because if it werent for that, I dont think I would have done it! Money is very stressful but I know you guys will get it worked out. I hope you're doing good!

Kris and MaLanie said...

Wow! Brian is such a hard worker! I know finances and money are stressful topics but I'm sure everything will work out and you will be a SAHM. So what are your plans for the next couple of weekends? We must get together! We have a Wii too (I'm not above bribing) :) We could come down to your place or meet you somewhere or you could come to our place (except I still need to decorate our apartment - the walls are so bare). Let me know!!

Leslie Collins said...

School loans stress me out, too. I have a lot of college debt and I feel like they are never going to be paid off.

Try not to stress about finances, although it's easier said than done. IT sounds like we have been in the same boat lately. I have been debating on whether to get a job with a few more hours. I hate feeling crunched.

Hope all works out. :)

Mama Nirvana said...

When I was pregnant with John, our lives were a mess -- Mike was in school with no end in sight and I had just started my first year of my dream job. It is only in hindsight that I see that things worked out totally perfectly.

No sense worrying too much now. Things do have a way of just working out just the way they are supposed to.

Congratulations!

Amy

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about the student loans, but I hope it will be worth it in the end. It sounds like your hubs wants to be able to spend more time with you now and during the winter so he's spreading out the classes.

Congrats to your sailor!

(Sniffer)