Thursday, January 29, 2009

Traditions

Brian and I were laying in bed talking and we started discussing what our favorite family traditions were growing up. It was a really fun conversation and we talked about what we want some of our traditions to be for our growing family.

Some of my favorites:
1. Watching America's Funniest Videos on Sunday nights while eating no bake cookies
2. Our trips to Tacoma to see my grandparents-I loved staying in a hotel (they managed a Best Western) and swimming in the outdoor pool, regardless of the temperature outside.
3. Eating dinner together as a family
4. Snow skiing in the winter. We would leave really early in the morning so my mom would lay out all of our clothes and gear in the living room the night before, I would get so excited!
5. Family reunions

Some of Brian's favorites:
1. Their yearly family trips together, didn't matter where
2. Eating dinner together as a family
3. Family reunions
4. BBQ's

Ones we thought of for our family:
1. Family dinners (this will be difficult at times since Brian sometimes gets home late)
2. Yearly trips: Shasta, camping, boating, coast, Bend, etc.
3. Bike rides during the summer
4. Christmas morning together before going to grandparents houses

What are your favorite traditions?

6 comments:

Shannon said...

I love that you guys were talking about traditions, thats so awesome! I love the idea of traditions because it makes for such nice memories growing up.

We have alot of family traditions but one of my favorites is that my mom gave us a children's book every year from the time that we were 1 until age 21. She wrote a message to us in the book but then put it on a shelf. I think we would read through it once in awhile but mostly, it became part of a collection. The plan is that when my sister and I have our first child, she will pass the collection onto us so we can give it to our child. I think its such a cool idea! Plus, its neat to go back and read her message to us.

Lindsay said...

My favorite thing was waking up at home every christmas morning to open presents. We never traveled for christmas even though my moms family lived a long way away. When we woke up she would always have breakfast stuff out like pastries and muffins. And we'd always drink pepermint tea. It was great! Since we didn't do chrismas with my moms family we always spent NYE with them. We still do it today. It was always so much fun to spend NYE with my aunts, uncles and cousins.

Leslie Collins said...

Probably eating dinner as a family most nights. Also, Christmas morning. My mom makes dough balls every year. We would eat those, drink coffee and open our gifts. It was always such a peaceful morning.

Carly said...

awww Lulu- that is the sweetest convo ever :). Some family traditions i love (that are nonholiday related) are whoever's birthday it is gets Breakfast in bed, semi-annual shopping for the 'girls', no matter where we have all been- it has happened twice a year, waking up on minor holidays (st pattys, v-day) to each kid having their own little bag of treats on the kitchen table. I am totally going to bring up this convo with Eric

Molly said...

What a fantastic conversation. I think I'm going to bring this up with my husband tonight.

The Beavers said...

ROAD TRIPS! Some really funny memories in the car:)I hope Nathan will love the traditions we create for him:)

Can't wait to meet Baby Bria!!